- Tourmaline comes in almost every colour, and has earned the name “Rainbow Gemstone’.
- An Egyptian Tales: Ancient Egyptian believed that Tourmaline got its amazing colours because it broke through a rainbow on its journey to the Earth.
- Tourmaline is the birthstone for October.
- The most sought-after bi/tri-colour tourmalines are the Watermelon tourmalines, where the crystals may be green at one end and pink at the other.
- The rarest tourmaline is the Brazilian paraiba, where it stands out by its vivid neon blue colour. One Brazilian paraiba tourmaline is mined for every 10,000 diamonds.
- The China Empress Dowager, Cixi (慈禧太后), was said to be obsessed with pink tourmalines.